Do you currently work for Canadian Blood Services? All employees must apply via the internal career page .
Together, we can make all the difference in the lives of others.
Be part of a dynamic, collaborative and caring organization committed to saving and improving lives. Thousands of patients depend on us every day for reliable access to safe blood, plasma, stem cells and organs and tissues.
If you are looking for a rewarding experience with a values and mission-driven team, join Canada’s Lifeline and make a meaningful difference.
We acknowledge that the work of Canadian Blood Services spans many Territories and Treaty areas across the country, and we are grateful for the Traditional Knowledge Keepers and Elders who have guided us in this important work.
We recognize the land and waters that have inspired our work and offer gratitude to those Indigenous peoples on whose territory we work, live and play.
Job category: Laboratory and phlebotomy
Job posting ID: 4948
Employment status: Temporary part-time
Position’s anticipated start date: 2023-09-11
Position’s anticipated end date: 2024-09-06
Possible schedule/FTE: 0.6
Salary/Rate of pay: $35.04
Application deadline: 2023-08-29
About The Role
Canadian Blood Services is looking for a Temporary Part time Medical Laboratory Technologist to join our dynamic Testing team in Edmonton.
The Testing team is responsible for routine and complex serology testing including the running of automated equipment, and the preparation and quality control of reagents in the prenatal areas of the laboratory in accordance with all provincial laboratory accreditation and regulatory requirements and Canadian Blood Services policies, procedures and practices.
Formula for success:
• Receives, accessions and prepares specimens for testing.
• Performs required testing on perinatal specimens.
• Evaluates testing, prepares reports and communicates results to customers.
• Performs antibody identification by various test methods.
• Performs phenotype testing of patient samples.
• Prepares appropriate quality control testing on reagents used.
• Maintains equipment and laboratory areas.
• Performs other related duties as required.
Desired education and skills:
• Degree or Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technologist program.
• Current MLT (ACMLT) practice permit.
• Experience with Transfusion Medicine/Red Cell Serology is an asset.
• Experience with current laboratory information system is an asset.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent customer services skills.
• Ability to work accurately with attention to detail.
• Strong organization and time management skills including the ability to set priorities and manage multiple tasks.
• Superior problem solving and decision-making skills.
What we can offer you:
• Percentage accrued for vacation and percentage in lieu of holidays.
• Defined Benefits Pension Plan.
• Employee discounts, wellness programs, and much more.
What you can expect:
• Shift/hours- 6 days every 2 weeks Monday-Friday 7am to 3pm or 7:30am to 3:30pm.
Diversity and inclusion play a vital role in ensuring health equity for patients across Canada. We are committed to reflecting Canada’s population in our organization and fostering an environment where all employees can be their authentic selves, with equal opportunities to succeed and contribute.
Canadian Blood Services requires that all employees be fully vaccinated (COVID 19 vaccine doses as approved by Health Canada), subject to any medical or other human rights considerations. Persons who have been vaccinated outside of Canada must contact their local Public Health Unit in order to obtain a vaccine equivalency certificate.
If this role resonates with you, we encourage you to apply! This could be your first step towards a meaningful and inspiring career. Come to work each day knowing that you save lives.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those considered for an interview or those invited to participate in an assessment will be contacted.
Applicants who require accommodation should discuss their needs with us.